Boerewors is one of the traditional South African delicatessens and is much more versatile than people may think.
A boerewors quiche, for instance, is a lovely way to serve something different by using common ingredients.
Recommended wine: The Welmoed Merlot will complement this dish perfectly.
Boerewors quiche recipe:
- 1 1/5 cups (300 ml) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup (250 ml) Smokey BBQ Marinade
- 15ml margarine
- In a bowl mix together 1 cup of cheese, flour and margarine until a soft dough forms
- Press into a large, greased pie dish or 2 small dishes
- Marinade boerewors in Smokey BBQ Marinade
- Cook on braai (or under the grill), then slice
- In a pan fry onion and garlic in a little margarine, and allow the onion to caramelise slightly
- Arrange onion, boerewors and rocket on the base of the pie dish
- In a jug mix together the eggs, milk and cream, pour over filling
- Top with reserved cheese
- Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for about 1hour 15 minutes or until quiche is firm in the centre
- Hint: To save some time, use your leftover, marinated boerewors for this delicious South African twist on an ordinary quiche